Green smoothies seem to be all the rage in certain health conscious circles. I mean, who’s going to argue about trying to get more veggies in? I’d made a green smoothie before using greens and a high powered blender. I did not enjoy the results. The texture was pulpy and stringy and not tasty at all.
I figured it was worth trying again, but this time I wanted to make it in a way that was more palatable to my tastes. The result? A pretty darn tasty green smoothie in my book.
- 1 cup or 8 oz. of almond milk, soy milk (any 'milk' you want. I just don't use dairy)
- 4 pitted dates
- 1 tbs or 6.6 grams of ground flaxseed
- 1 cup or 225 grams of fresh spinach or frozen (I use frozen)
- 1 whole or 1/2 banana depending on how thick you want the smoothie
- A handful of berries (I use raspberries)
- Add all ingredients together and blend well till smooth in a food processor, blender or use a hand blender (find a good hand blender here). You can adjust the ingredients to your tastes. If you want it sweeter, add more dates. If you want more liquid, more milk, etc.
This is my go-to drink when I want something light but filling in the morning. It replaces breakfast for me and it keeps me full till lunch.