Summer is the best time for salsa. It’s the peak season for tomatoes and they will be at their tastiest. The great thing about fresh salsa is not just the taste, but that you are not putting extra chemicals like aspartame into your body under the guise of “natural flavors.” “Natural flavors” could also mean MSG as manufacturers are working harder than ever to hide from increasingly savvy consumers what is truly in their products.
Here is a recipe for salsa that only includes real food ingredients and nothing more. You will taste nothing but fresh deliciousness packed with antioxidants. Try this no-fail salsa for your next barbecue or for fajita night with the family.
- 4 large, ripe tomatoes (preferably organic)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 green onion
- 3 fresh garlic cloves
- 3/4 tsp or 4 grams of cumin
- 1/2 tsp or 2.5 grams of paprika
- 1/2 tsp or 2.5 grams of sea salt to taste
- 2 tbs or 30 grams of olive oil
- juice from one ripe lemon
- 1/2 tbs or 7.5 grams of tomato paste
- 1 cup or 136 grams of fresh cilantro
- Dice the tomatoes and onions. Mince the garlic. Roughly chop the cilantro. Add all ingredients excluding the oil into a food processor or mix it with a hand blender. After you have mixed to your desired consistency (I like relatively smooth with a few chunks) then add the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil. Mix well. Taste and see if it needs additional salt. Serve and enjoy!
Please let me know if this salsa worked out for you.
Live well and be happy!