This post today is dedicated to my wonderful mother-in-law who makes the best puffy oven pancakes in the world. She was the first to introduce me to this easy and delicious breakfast (pssst…we’ve eaten them at dinner, too ;)) and I’ve made it countless times. My kids shout for joy when I announce on a lazy Saturday morning that I’m making them.
I’ve made a few tweaks to her original recipe (as I am wont to often do) but it sticks very close to hers. This is a great go-to recipe when you want something homemade and fast that’s like a pancake or waffle, but you don’t have to sit around flipping cakes or pouring batter over and over again. You’ll have a hot meal ready for you in about 30 minutes.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup or 250 ml of milk
- 1 cup or 128 grams of whole grain flour (find flour here)
- 1/4 tsp or 1 gram of salt
- 4 tbs or 60 grams of butter
- 1 tsp or 6 grams of vanilla extract (find vanilla extract here)
- 2 tbs or 30 grams of yogurt
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 degrees Celsius. Place your 9 X 12 baking dish in the oven with the 4 tbs or 60 grams of butter to allow it to melt as the oven is heating up. In a bowl combine flour and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, vanilla extract, yogurt and eggs. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly.
- Pull out your baking dish with the now melted butter and add the mixture. Place back in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until it has puffed up significantly. Top with syrup, fresh fruit, jam or honey. Serves approximately 5 people.
They puffed up so much that they were curling over on the sides. This is really fun meal to make with kids because their eyes just light up as they see the pancakes rise in the oven.
Hope you like them!
Live well and be happy 🙂